While I was racking my brain trying to figure out what to send to LCpl Honda in his Christmas Care Package I started doing a little research on the internet. I found many great charities and companies that focus on making Christmas for our deployed service people a happy day.
If you are wondering, what you can do here is just a few of the ideas that I came across.
1. Send a USO care package to a deployed service member. Operation USO Care Package will send a care package to those either deployed or en route to an overseas deployment.
2. Operation UpLink provides phones cards for deployed military members. Being able to call home is a priceless gift you can give to a military member and their family.
3. Christmas Spirit Foundation donates Christmas trees for military families. What a wonderful gift for the family back home! Being separated from loved ones during the holidays is stressful to say the least. The Christmas Spirit Foundation provides trees and helps families with one less thing to worry about during the holidays.
4. Donate toys to the Marines Toys for Tots program. This benefits all children whether in the military or not. Besides, Christmas is all about the kids and the Marine Corps has successfully made a wonderful Christmas for kids since 1991.
5. Adopt a Soldier. This is the gift that keeps on giving. You can adopt a military member and help by sending care packages and letters throughout his/her entire deployment.
Whatever you choose to do is up to you but this is just five ways you can help and bring some holiday spirit to those who are making it possible for us to celebrate the holidays in freedom.